Key suspect in the explosion that injured 29 people in New York has been arrested after a dramatic manhunt by US law enforcement agencies, local media is reporting.
Police named 28-year-old Ahmad Khan Rahami as a suspect in an explosion in Manhattan over the weekend.
Earlier on Monday, The FBI issued a wanted poster seeking information and warning that Rahami should be considered “armed and dangerous”.
He was arrested around 11am local time after a standoff with police, according to media reports. At least one officer is believed to have been injured in the arrest.
Authorities are exploring links between the New York blast and a pipe bomb in New Jersey on Saturday morning, as well as five suspicious devices found near a train station on Sunday night, as suspicion grows that a terror cell may be behind the attacks.
On Sunday night federal authorities detained five people with possible links to the bombing in Chelsea district of Manhattan, New York, injuring 29 people, one seriously.
Police also responded to reports of a backpack with suspicious wires and a pipe found in a rubbish bin near a New Jersey train station and a pub.
One of five suspicious devices in the backpack exploded as the FBI attempted to disarm it with a robot. It was the third attack in 24 hours.
Local Elizabeth mayor Christian Bollwage said it was possible whoever had left the bag had been attempting to get rid of it. “It’s not in a highly congested area,” he told CNN.
Police have not said whether they believe the backpack is linked to the bombs in Manhattan, or an earlier pipe bomb at a train station in Elizabeth, but law enforcement officials told CNN on Monday morning that they were investigating a possible terror cell operating between New York and New Jersey.
Sunday night’s explosion came as a local newspaper reported that a mystery caller had telephoned police hours after the New York bombings to warn that there would be more attacks.
“I’m looking at the explosion down the block. There will be more,” the unidentified man said, according to police sources who spoke to The New York Post.
No evidence has yet emerged tying the devices to known extremist groups.
Thousands of people were milling around one of Manhattan’s most fashionable areas on Saturday night when the blast ripped through the area shortly after 8.30pm local time.
It originated from a device placed in a pressure cooker outside the Associated Blind Housing facility at 135 West 23rd Street. A second device was found four blocks away on West 27th Street.
Both bombs in New York were filled with shrapnel and made with pressure cookers, flip phones, Christmas lights and explosive compound, The New York Times reported late Sunday, citing law enforcement officials.