Miss Colombia has shared a heartfelt social media post after she was wrongly crowned Miss Universe on Sunday night.
Ariadna Gutiérrez had to hand over her crown to Miss Philippines after Steve Harvey mistakenly called out her name in front of a live TV audience.
Reacting gracefully, the runner-up thanked people for their support and kindness following the incident.
“After the storm comes the calm. I want to thank each and everyone of you who have sent messages of support and strength. Every one of you has become an incredible human being in my book and I am the most fortunate and thankful for having the support not only from one country but from the whole entire world.
She added that she was pleased that Colombia and the Latin community are being talked about all around the world.
“Your destiny is written for you. And my destiny was this. I was able to bring happiness to my country after becoming Miss Universe for only a couple of minutes… Today because of that COLOMBIA and the LATIN COMMUNITY are being talked about in every corner of the world. I also want to congratulate the Philippines for their new Miss Universe.
The happiness that you must be feeling must be incredible. Life continues and in the future we will find out why things happen the way they happen. Thank you all for your LOVE SUPPORT and KINDNESS.”
Here’s a list of the swanky prize package Ariadna missed out on. The Miss Universe 2015 prize package includes:
- a year-long salary as Miss Universe;
- luxury accommodations in a New York City apartment for the duration of her reign, including living expenses;
- a one-year scholarship from the New York Film Academy College of Visual Performing Arts;
- a one-year supply of haircare products and tools from CHI Haircare;
- a new custom diamond tiara and jewelry designed by D.I.C;
- a shoe wardrobe from Chinese Laundry Shoes;
- swimwear by Yamamay;
- a year’s worth of skincare products from Image Skincare;
- personal services including membership to Gravity Fitness at Le Parker Meridien Hotel and hair services from John Barrett Salon;
- modeling portfolio by leading fashion photographer Fadil Berisha;
- dermatology and skincare services provided by Dr. Cheryl Thellman-Karcher;
- professional health and nutrition consultation by Tanya Zuckerbrot, MS, RD and dental services by Dr. Jan Linhart, D.D.S.;
- professional representation by The Miss Universe Organization;
- extensive travel representing sponsors and charitable partners;
- access to various New York City events including casting opportunities, movie premieres, screenings, Broadway shows and launch parties;
- and personal appearance wardrobe and styling by the official Miss Universe Organization fashion stylist.