Nigeria’s Golden Eaglets have won yet another trophy at the U-17 World Cup. Here are 8 new grounds that have been broken.
1. Nigeria is the first country to have won the trophy 5 times. The team also previously held the record of most wins with 4 trophies followed by Brazil who has won 3 times.
2. The star of the competition, Victor Osimhen laid a new record of highest number of goals at the competition with 10 goals scored.
3. Victor Osimhen also made another record as the first player to score in every match of the competition. Osimhen scored 10 goals in 7 matches.
4. President Muhammadu Buhari is the first country head to see his country lift the world cup twice. He was military head of state in 1985 when Nigeria won the first U-17 World Cup in China and has now seen the team emerged victorious again.
5. This is the first time the Golden Eaglets will be winning the trophy outside Asia. Nigeria’s previous wins; ’85 (China), ’93 (Japan), 07 (Korea) and 2013 (UAE) were all on Asian soil.
6. With 5 trophies and 3 second place finish, Nigeria is the most successful team in the history of the competition after playing 8 in 8 finals and appearing 11 times in the 15 editions that have been held.
7. Asides Brazil (’97 and ’99), Nigeria is the only other country to have won the trophy back to back.
8. Nigeria’s win against Mali has reaffirmed Africa’s position at the most successful continent at the competition with 7 wins (Nigeria-5, Ghana-2) followed by South America with 3 wins (Brazil ’97, ’99, ’03) and Europe with 3 wins (Soviet Union ’87, France ’01 and Switzerland ’09).