The Portuguese striker, Cristiano Ronaldo is one of the greatest footballers of all time because of his exploits on the field of play. He has won three Ballon d’or trophies and scooped several individual top gongs since emerging as a talented football star at about 16. He made his professional debut for Sporting Lisbon at the age of 16, got signed to Manchester United the following year and stamped his authority at the biggest club in Britain in no time with his style of play. He helped the team to win three Premier League titles and one Champions League among other trophies. In 2009, he moved to Real Madrid where he has broken several records and continues to chase more glory. He has won 2 Copa del Rey, 1 La Liga title, 1 Champions League, UEFA Super Cup, Supercopa de Espana, and FIFA Club World Cup titles in the Spanish capital club. LIVEOFOFO decide to bring to you 10 things you may not know about this football star.
1. His second name, ‘Ronaldo’ was inspired by former U.S. President and Hollywood actor, Ronald Reagan, who was his father’s favourite actor.
2. He was expelled from school at the age of 14 after he threw a chair at his teacher over claims that he was disrespected.
3. Ronaldo was nicknamed ‘Cry-baby’, because he used to cry when he passed the ball and his friends fail to score. People called him ‘Cry-baby’ and ‘little bee’.
4. At the age of 15, Ronaldo was diagnosed with a racing heart. He had a successful surgery that saved his football career.
5. Unlike many footballers of his era, he has no single tattoo on his body.
6. His break into football came through one of his closest friends, Albert Fantrau, whose goal assist gave him the opportunity to be noticed by Sporting Lisbon.
7. In November 2012, Ronaldo sold the golden boot he won in 2011 for €1.5m and donated the proceeds to a school fund for children in crisis-hit Gaza.
8. He is the first Portuguese player to score 50 international goals making him Portugal’s top scorer of all time as well as the country’s top scorer in the European Championship with 6 goals.
9. He is a devoted Christian of the Roman Catholic faith.
10. There is a museum named Museu CR7 in his hometown in Funchal, Portugal dedicated to him and which contains his trophies, photographs, medals and lots more.