Minister of Information, Lai Mohammed has said Nigerian state governors, ministers, business leaders, public officials and bankers allegedly stole $6.7 billion in public funds in seven years.
Mohammed told reporters in the capital, Abuja, that some 1.34 trillion naira ($6.72 billion, 6.15 billion euros) was allegedly stolen between 2006 and 2013,Pm News reports ..
See a breakdown of the alleged theft,
– 15 former state governors stole 146.84 billion naira
– 11 businessmen took 653 billion naira
– Eight people in the banking industry stole 524 billion naira
– 12 former state and federal public servants made off with more than 14 billion naira
– four former ministers took seven billion naira
The period covered starts toward the end of the second term in office for Nigeria’s first civilian president after military rule, Olusegun Obasanjo. He was replaced in 2007 by Umaru Musa Yar’Adua.
Goodluck Jonathan took over in 2010 when Yar’Adua died in office.