There are at least 12 types of guys that every girl will probably get butterflies in her stomach for at least once in her life. They are:
1. The childhood crush: The guy you screamed “Cooties!” at in the third grade and “went out” with in the fifth for two weeks. It broke your heart a little when you discovered on Facebook that he got married, even though you haven’t spoken to him in 10 years and he’s not even that cute anymore.
2. The celeb crush: The guy whose poster hung above your twin-size bed for five years, and you were legitimately certain you’d marry him by the end of every Tiger Beat article. You’re so glad the Internet wasn’t around when you were 13 because you might have been one of those crazy preteens making Twitter death threats against his girlfriend.
3. The work crush: The guy you wouldn’t normally be into, but you sit at the cubicle next to him nine hours a day, five days a week, so you’re basically forced to develop a smidge of feelings for him.
4. The not-your-type crush: The guy you would never expect yourself to be into, but you are in a big way. He’s stocky and blond, whereas you usually go for lanky and dark. He’s totally corporate and you’re an all-natural free spirit. He’s a skater boy, you do ballet. Whatever, opposites attract.
5. The Twitter crush: The guy you’ve never even met, but your friend retweets him and he’s so cute and always so witty, and now you Google-stalk him weekly and dream of ways to scheme a run-in with him.
6. The hate crush: The guy you really can’t stand, but your blood gets so hot every time he enrages you that it basically turns you on and you just want to rip his clothes off to make him stop talking already.
7. The high school reunion crush: The guy who wasn’t on the football team, so your 17-year-old self never even noticed him, but five years later, you’re suddenly putting on makeup and a cute dress just in case you run into him at the grocery store with your mom.
8. The borderline-inappropriate authority crush: The guy who’s way too old for you and you feel majorly creepy admitting it to yourself, but you’d totally do him. Think a college professor or your first boss.
9. The barista crush: The guy who makes your coffee at the cart you stop at every morning. He always remembers how you take it and gives you a sweet little wink, so you’re basically in love, right?
10. The crush you’d never admit: The guy you would never say out loud that you have a teeny-tiny harmless crush on because it’s so, so wrong. Like, say, your best friend’s husband. You’d NEVER act on it, ever (but you did have a weird dream once that made you feel guilty).
11. The see-him-everywhere crush: The guy in your extended circle of friends that you run into all the time. He’s on your bus one morning. You walk your dogs in the same park. He’s at your college friend Heather’s birthday party. But you can never quite find a way to get him into a real conversation.
12. The “This could really be it” crush: The guy you just started dating who has serious potential to be the love of your life. You’ve got all the delightful swoon-y symptoms of a crush, but there’s something even better there too.
Have you had any or all of these crushes? What other kinds of crushes have you had?
It’s just a little crush: