With cases of Lassa fever confirmed in eight states namely: Bauchi, Nasarawa, Niger, Taraba, Kano, Rivers, Edo and Oyo with 35 deaths out of 76 cases so far, it is important to promote good hygiene with is the basis of its prevention.
Here are 10 preventive measures you can take against the dreaded disease.
1. Avoid contact between rats and human beings;
2. Keep your house and Environment clean
3. Cover all foods and water properly.
4. Cook all foods thoroughly
5. Store foodstuffs in rodent proof containers
6. Block all rat hideouts
7. If you suspect that rat has eaten any food, discard it
8. Family members should always be careful to avoid contact with blood and body fluids while caring for sick persons.
9. Disposing of garbage far from the home, maintaining clean households
10. If you notice anyone with a suspicious illness (fever, vomiting, diarrhoea, cough, and bleeding from mouth, nose, vagina or anus), contact the epidemiologist in the State Ministry of Health or call the Federal Ministry of Health using the following numbers: 08093810105,08163215251, 08031571667 and 08135050005.
– See more at: http://www.benueforum.com/lassa-fever-10-home-preventive-measures-must-read/#sthash.wo8t0h2m.dpuf