A serious clash between Igbo and Yoruba traders have resulted in the death of two people and many others wounded at the popular Ladipo market in Lagos.

The fight degenerated into a violent ethnic clash
About 15 people were wounded and 2 persons dead yesterday including a man, as hoodlums clashed at the popular Ladipo Market in Mushin, Lagos state.
It was gathered that trouble started around 8am over illegal ticketing. The clash later degenerated into a serious ethnic battle between Igbo and Yoruba traders.
Things took a different dimension when hoodlums scrambled over collection of ticket money from a car that parked in the area, which left one person injured.
In retaliation, one Aguleri, leader of the Ladipo Executive Council’s Taskforce, who claimed to be acting under the orders of the union’s President allegedly, led the hoodlums that wreaked havoc.
The incident resulted in the burning of vehicles and shops as residents of Odushina, Olapeju, Oloje and Akinwunmi streets fled for their dear lives.
According to The Nation, Residents have promised a showdown after claiming that one Kazeem Owoseni, 28, and another unnamed man were butchered to death. Others, including Aguda and Alabi were lying unconscious at the hospital. A young man, Babalola, who claimed to be a Navy Captain, lost his Mitsubishi Outlander car.
Giving details of the incident, Babalola said he brought the vehicle to his mechanic on Monday only for it to be vandalized. He gave a 24-hour ultimatum for its replacement or a fresh violence will erupt.
Residents did not hold back as they took to the streets to protest the destruction of their homes, called on the government to relocate the market.
However, another account of how the trouble started revealed that trouble started at Olapeju Street after a sand seller identified as Iyiola Okunade alias Baba Kekere stopped Aguleri’s boys from blocking his wares.
According to the aged man, Aguleri aka Miracle, who said he was acting under the instruction of the Union President (Segun), pushed him and he retired into his home.
“The union is biased and they are the problem here. The Igbos are hiding under the union to wreak havoc.
“I usually come out in the morning around 6am to pack sand from the gutter with my wheelbarrow because that’s what I sell in front of my house. So, I had used my barrow to block my frontage so that no car will park there and cover my wares.
“Suddenly, one man came and said I must leave there. He pushed me and people came to settle it. So, I went into my room and then I started hearing shouts,” he said.
Another victim, Bishop Julius Oridota, pastor in charge of Christian Evangelical Assembly lamented that the hoodlums burnt his vehicle and attempted to set his church ablaze.
Accusing the police of injustice, he claimed that after showing them the arsonist and they were arrested, the said Aguleri bribed the police and they were released.
“They initially arrested the guy who set the car ablaze but when Aguleri bribed them, they left him,” he said.
An inconsolable man who claimed to be Owoseni’s brother threatened to avenge his death, accusing policemen from Olosan station of corruption.
“Kazeem heard noise that there was a fight. He came out to know what was happening and they butchered him to death. They killed my brother. Aguleri and his people have killed my brother.
“Policemen from Olosan gave them cover. Our police are not helping us. I saw three police people. Aguda came there to find out what was happening and they cut his head. Same thing happened to Alabi. Alabi is in a comma,”he said.
Chimezie Felix, a trader, who came to buy spare parts from Ladipo market, was stabbed at the back while carrying his goods to his shop. He was rushed to Mount Sinai hospital at Olanibi Street.
Mushin Local Government Executive Secretary Jide Bello, who visited the scene, urged the people to maintain peace, assuring them that investigation will be conducted and those found guilty punished.
“I am not aware of casualties at the moment but you can see that a lot of destruction happened here. I am only suing for peace now. We are going to investigate the cause of the problem and find lasting solution. I do not believe in tribalism. We are all one Nigerians and so, we will pursue peace,” he said.
The police has said no death was recorded.
Police spokesperson, Dolapo Badmos, said: “No single death recorded, four men injured and rushed to the hospital. The fracas ensued after a fight between two people over buying of foods. The command’s operatives from Area D, RRS moved in and normalcy has been restored. The Commissioner of Police has ordered full scale investigation into the matter.”
Facebook Comments
READ  My Younger Brother Fathered My Three Children

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.