A sad report emerged at Obalende road, Ikoyi Lagos, on Thursday, August 6. A young lady, simply identified as Favour, reportedly slumped and died after taking two bottles of local gin known as Ogogoro.
The lady, who was an alleged prostitute in the area, took the illicit liquor on an empty stomach.
Some of her colleagues spoke to P.M.NEWS about the tragic development. They said the deceased was from Imo state, southeastern Nigeria. She worked with them at the Idoma Spot on Obalende Road, Ikoyi, Lagos.
The ladies narrated they had warned the deceased severally to reduce her intake of the local gin, smoking of cigarettes and Indian hemp, especially without paying attention to food consumption. However, the deceased did not listen to anybody.
The prostitutes revealed more about Favour’s death.
“She drank one bottle of ogogoro and that after she drank another bottle of the gin in the evening at about 6.30 pm without eating any food, she suddenly screamed “my stomach, help me” and slumped and before they could take her to the nearest hospital for treatment, she died on the spot.”
When the newsmen visited the scene later that day, the body of the deceased was seen covered with a cloth on the ground beside the Spot. Passerby were discussing the incident.