Horrified eye witness have described how a masked gang used machetes and knives to hack an amateur cagefighter to death in the street.
The 39-year-old victim, named locally as Sebastian Zuchlinski, suffered two stab wounds to the body and deep cuts to his head, shoulder, and thigh.
It is understood one of his fingers was cut off, and the man’s girlfriend witnessed the shocking attack in Bolton.
More than a dozen residents in Davenport Street rushed out to help Mr Zuchlinski but despite their efforts and those of paramedics on the scene he died a short time after the attack.
Friends of Mr Zuchlinski, who is originally from Poland, have paid tribute to him and placed flowers at the scene.
One close friend, Anna Beata, 41, said: “I am really upset. He was a good guy. He was the perfect guy. He always tried to help you. He tried his best for everyone.
“He liked to have friends round for dinner all the time. We will all really miss him.”
Another friend, Adam Jereczek, wrote online: “They killed my friend. Tragedy, Sebastian Zuchlinski, we’ll remember about you, rest in peace.”
Mr Zuchlinski had been living in England for 10 years.
He is believed to have children and grandchildren living back in his hometown of Koszalin in north Poland.
One resident said they saw a group of three or four men arrive in the road with machete weapons, Manchester Evening News reports.
He said: “They started hitting him. Three or four of them came in a car, I think it was a Honda. They attacked him once and he survived.
“He ran out. It looked like they were punching him but they were stabbing him with machetes. They chopped his finger off then stabbed him. A woman honked her horn and they ran off.”
Another resident said: “I saw two men attacking another man, with what I thought maybe was baseball bats. They were shouting and jumped out of a car.
“They were hitting him, another car came. They jumped in and drove off. There were lots of people there shouting ‘ring an ambulance’.”
A neighbour said:“We heard a lot of noise and looked outside and saw everything including a machete.
“The men who were attacking him were all wearing balaclavas.
“We saw the man get slashed and saw his finger cut off.
“Our neighbour pulled up behind the men’s car and started beeping her horn then they got in the car and drove off.
“The man was left lying on the road and she was holding his head screaming for the police to be called.”
He was a huge sports fan and trained in cage-fighting and boxing.
Police were alerted just before 10pm on Saturday night.
A 29-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of murder and remains in custody for questioning.
Patrols have been increased in the area so residents may notice an increase in policepresence.
Detective Chief Inspector Howard Millington of the Greater Manchester Police Major Incident Team said: “First and foremost I would like to offer my heartfelt condolences to the friends and family of the victim for their tragic loss.
“We have launched a full investigation to find those responsible for this poor man’s death and I would like to appeal for anyone who may have information to please come forward.
“I know an incident like this on a residential street can cause a lot of concern however I would like to stress that we believe this to be an isolated incident with no wider threat to the public.