A 20-year-old aspiring fashion designer walked in front of a truck over fears her boyfriend would be forced into an arranged marriage, an inquest heard.

Suk Yin Cheng rang her partner of two years just before she was hit telling him “I love you… I’m doing this for you.”

She left a note on her iPod expressing her distress at the belief her Muslim boyfriend Kahil Mohammad would be forced to go through with the marriage .

The hearing heard that Miss Cheng was supposed to drive to her parent’s home on July 2 last year, but instead she headed to a busy dual carriageway and walked in front of an HGV,

She died of multiple injuries after being hit by the truck on the A38 at Clay Mills, near Burton, Staffs, in the early hours of the morning.

Mr Mohammad, 22, said the 20 year-old appeared “happy” the last time he saw her and that the arranged marriage had not been discussed on the evening.

In a statement to the police, Mr Mohammad explained that he and Miss Cheng were “inseparable” and he wanted to marry her.

Speaking at the family’s detached home in Derby following the inquest, Miss Cheng’s dad Ken, 52, said his daughter was “so in love” with Mr Mohammad.

He added: “Her boyfriend Kahil was a Muslim and his parents wanted him to get an arranged marriage.

“It was something Caley and Kahil were trying to solve and overcome together.

“Caley felt pressure because of the whole thing, I think she maybe wanted to prove she was good enough.

READ  Watch How This Guy Dismissed A Jehovah’s Witness Woman Who Came To Preach With Her Son

“Kahil was the last person to see Caley, just 45 minutes before the accident.

“Caley and Kahil worked together and were inseparable.

“They met about three years ago through mutual friends and had been in a relationship for two years.

“She had a great boyfriend, and they were so in love.

“He was really devastated. We remain good friends with him.”

The coroner’s court heard on January 13, that the day before the tragedy Miss Cheng had been to work at Boots warehouse, at Centrum 100, in Burton-on-Trent.

She then drove to Mr Mohammad’s house in Derby, where the pair chatted until about 11.30pm.

She was then due to drive home to her parents’ home in Derby, but drove towards Burton on the A38, where she pulled into a layby. At around 12.15am they spoke on the phone.

Mr Mohammad said: “She said that she loved me and that she was doing this for me. I did not know why she was saying that.”

The hearing at Burton Town Hall was told Miss Cheng died at 12.40am when she was hit by the lorry.

South Staffordshire coroner Andrew Haigh concluded that Miss Cheng had “committed suicide while distressed”.

Facebook Comments
Posted in: Odd

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.