The trial of Nelson Mandela’s grandson, Mbuso, is set to begin in the Johannesburg Magistrate’s Court on March 9 next year.
The 24-year-old has been charged with raping a 15-year-old girl at a bar in Johannesburg in August.
The accused is currently out on bail of $550.
The state prosecutor on Monday told the Johannesburg Magistrate’s court that investigations into the alleged crime had not yet been finalised.
He requested that proceedings be postponed to January 13, 2016 for a potential witness to be consulted.
It also emerged that the state had not yet consulted with the 15-year-old complainant as she had been writing school examinations.
However, Magistrate Hasina Habib queried the delay, as she said the complainant would have finished school at the end of November.
In her affidavit, the victim claimed the accused had forcefully kissed her, put his hands in her pants and raped her.
Mbuso has disputed, claiming in his affidavit the sex was consensual and that he had no idea she was under age.
He claimed the pub where they had met did not allow entry to people under the age of 21.
The girl was also drinking and smoking, it was alleged.
Mbuso’s bail conditions were amended in September so that he could be treated for depression at One Military Hospital in Pretoria. A fortnight ago, a Sunday paper reported that he dodged security and went out on a drinking binge.
Mbuso has been reporting to a Pretoria police station twice a week as part of his bail conditions.
During his bail application, Mbuso requested that he “not be treated as a Mandela but a normal citizen of the country”.