There was wailing and gnashing of teeth yesterday in Offa, Offa local government area of Kwara state as an early morning fire gutted the popular Owode Market in the community. The state governor Abdulfatah Ahmed also expressed his sadness over this fire outbreak incidence as shocking incidence.
Shop owners and traders at the market wept uncontrollably.
It was gathered that the inferno which was said to have started around 1:30 a.m, reportedly burnt down a large section of the market.
The fire was said to have been caused by a power surge from an electric pole.
It was gathered that the traders had earlier called the attention of the PHCN official s to rectify the bad pole before the incidence.
However, the spark occurred again at the midnight triggering massive inferno which was razed shops.
It was gathered that fire service men battled spiritedly to put out the fire but were hampered due to lack of access road in the market.
Expressing his sadness at the unfortunate mishap, Governor Ahmed promised to look into the matter with a view to evaluating the extent of the damage.
“I am shocked and saddened by this incident at Owode market. I sympathise with the people of Offa and environs, especially those who lost valuable property to the fire. While comforted that no live was lost, we will review this incident with a view to prevent a recurrence,” Governor Ahmed lamented.
A member of the Kwara state House of Assembly, Hassan Oyeleke who visited the scene of the incident, promised to liaise with appropriate authorities in order to provide immediate relief for the victims.