According to residents of the community, the junior wife had just completed the house which she bought when it was under construction. They moved into the building on Tuesday September 14th in preparation for the house warming which was slated for Wednesday when they died.
Neighbours and relations besieged the residence of the deceased family as early as 7a.m. in the morning to felicitate with them on the event but were surprised that despite repeated knocks on the door, nobody came out to attend to them.
All efforts to gain entry into the house was unsuccessful, as both the door and windows were locked.
A neighbor who spoke on condition of anonymity told The Nation that the incident happened like a movie
“They could not belief what they saw. It was indeed agonising and pathetic. The family of five were found dead. This is unbelievable. It is like watching a movie. The deceased father yesterday (Tuesday) played with the children around and greeted their parents in their respective homes for the Eid-El-Kabir celebration. How come he and his family members were found dead at the same time?”.
Confirming the incident, the Divisional Police Officer at Atiba Police Station, Sadiq Maye, said contrary to insinuations, the deceased died of generator fumes, which they inhaled while asleep and that their bodies had been deposited at the State Hospital mortuary, Oyo.