A suicide bomber reportedly blew himself up among crowds in a Shia Muslim procession in the village of Dakasoye, Garun Mallam local goverment area of Kano on Friday, November 27.
This was disclosed by organisers of the procession, The Guardian reports.
One of the organisers said: “It’s a huge crowd so it’s too early to give a precise figure of casualties. We now have the other suspect in custody.”
The organiser, who asked to remain anonymous, said the bomber ran into the crowd before he could be spotted and detonated his explosives.
“He was dressed in black like everyone else. His accomplice was initially arrested and confessed they were sent by Boko Haram. They were part of the young men abducted by Boko Haram in (the Borno state town of) Mubi last year and taken to Sambisa Forest where they were given some military training,” he said.
“They were sent to Kano 11 days ago and kept in a house specifically for this attack.”
The Muslim Brotherhood was on a procession of about 170km from Kano to Zaria.
10 people were reported dead while 45 have sustained various degrees of injuries.
Spokesman of the group, Ibrahim Usman said the incident happened around 2:30pm.
Ali Kakaki, a journalist who was at the scene of the blast said the ugly incident occurred shortly after a middle aged man was caught with Improvised Explosive Device.
Meanwhile, the Kano state Amir of the movement, Sheikh Muhammad Turi have ordered the continuation of the procession, saying that no amount of threat would deter them.
This comes barely four days after a female suicide bomber detonated her Improvised Explosive Device (IED) along Maiduguri-Mafa road in Borno state, killing eleven people in the process.
Also, on Wednesday November 18, two teenage suicide bombers were said to have blown up a popular mobile phone market in Kano state.
They were said to have detonated the explosives one after the other, and about 20 people lost their lives almost immediately during the deadly incident.