President Muhammadu Buhari on Monday promised officials of the Ministry of Women Affairs that part of the money his administration would recover from those who have stolen the nation’s commonwealth would be used to fund the ministry.
The ministry’s Permanent Secretary, Mr. Ezekiel Oyemomi, disclosed this to State House correspondents shortly after he briefed Buhari of his ministry’s activities and challenges at the Presidential Villa, Abuja.
Oyemomi said his team briefed the President of all its activities at the end of which he realised that his ministry was demanding.
He said, “When you look at what the ministry is set up to do, we cut across 70% of the population dealing with the issues of women, children, the vulnerable, people with disabilities, the distressed, distressed families and the lot.
“He (the President) gave his word that once government can recover some funds, he will make sure that such funds are introduced into boosting the budget of the ministry so that we can be well-funded, especially on areas of empowerment, empowering all the stake holder groups.”
Oyemomi said one of the challenges being faced by the ministry was that some establishments that were supposed to be under his ministry had been absorbed somewhere else.
He said the President had promised to look into the matter and bring such establishments back under the ministry.
“Part of the challenges are that some establishment should normally be under our control, but they have been absorbed somewhere else, especially the NNPC.
“We have exposed this to him and believe that the President will look at it and bring them back under us.
“He didn’t give a definite response but our document that have been presented certainly would be reviewed so that the right thing can be done,” he added.