The major issues of focus today Tuesday, September 15, in the Nigerian daily newspapers are on the issue of Alamieyeseigha revealing what a former president of Nigeria, Olusegun Obasanjo told him about Goodluck Jonathan, Peoples Democratic Party alleging economic negligence and reopening of probe into immigration job scandal.
Just few months after the erstwhile President Goodluck Jonathan left office, indications have emerged on why the former resident, Olusegun Obasanjo picked the former Bayelsa governor as running mate to late President Umaru Yar’Adua.
According to Daily Sun reports, Chief Diepreye Alamieyeseigha divulged the intrigues that led to the choice of Jonathan as vice president in his country home in Yenagoa.
The former governor of Bayelsa state said it was part of Obasanjo’s grand plan to stop Alhaji Atiku Abubakar from succeeding him in 2007.
The former governor said from the discussions he had with Obasanjo, he knew that Jonathan was going to be the vice president of Nigeria as far back as August 25, 2005.
On the issue of crumbling economy, the opposition PDP on Monday, September 14 advised that President Muhammadu Buhari-led administration should pay urgent attention to management of the nation’s economy, which it alleged has been on rapid fall in the last four months, The Guardian reports.
Chief Olisa Metuh, the party’s national publicity secretary in a statement yesterday said: “Whereas the PDP is in full support of President Buhari’s efforts in tackling corruption and insurgency, the party is however concerned about the grave economic situation we now face, as well as indices from global economic watchers, which this administration has failed to give deserving attention, despite its predictable negative impact.”
The Punch also reports that the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission on Monday, September 14 quizzed the immediate past Comptroller General of the Nigerian Immigration Services, David Paradang thereby reopening investigations into the NIS recruitment tragedy that occurred in 2014. The incident led to the death of 19 young job seekers.
The operatives had held him for over seven hours. Paradang was asked questions about the N555m said to have been collected from applicants who participated in the 2014 exercise.
However, the last seventh Senate under the leadership of Senator David Mark was not able to conclude its investigation on the matter before it closed.
The Nation reports that although the immediate past minister of interior, Comrade Abba Moro blamed the former Comptroller General for the incidents, those loyal to Paradang had earlier traced the tragedy to Moro and those they called his business partners.
The EFCC has stepped into the scandal to ascertain the whereabouts of the hundreds of million.
President Muhammadu Buhari had removed Parradang three weeks ago for allegedly recruiting over 1,000 officers in May, allegedly without due process.