A number of notable leaders, past and present have something in common, they all attended the same secondary school – Barewa College in Zaria, Kaduna State.
Founded in 1921 by Hugh Clifford, the then British Governor-General, the college which was then called Katsina College, was later renamed Kaduna College in 1938 and then Government College, Zaria in 1949 before its was changed to Barewa College.
So far, the school has produced 5 presidents, 20 governors, several ministers and many others.
– Alh. Ahmadu Bello, Premier of Northern Nigeria from 1954 to 1966
– Alh. Abubakar Tafawa-Balewa, Prime Minister of Nigeria from 1960 to 1961
– Gen. Murtala Mohammed, Military President from 1975 to 1976
– Gen. Yakubu Gowon(retd.), Military President from 1966 to 1975
– Alh. Shehu Shagari, President of Nigeria from 1979 to 1983
– Alh. Umaru Musa Yar’Adua, President of Nigeria from 2007 to 2010
– Mallam Adamu Ciroma , 3-time Minister (Industries; Agriculture; and Finance)
– Prof. Jubril Aminu – 2-time Minister (Education; Petroleum and Mineral Resources)
– Alh. Umaru Dikko – Minister of Transportation
– Alh. Ibrahim Mahmud Alfa, Ex-Governor of Kaduna State
– Mallam Nasir el-Rufai, Governor of Kaduna State
– Dr. Orji Uzor-Kalu, Ex-Governor of Abia State
– Alhaji Mohammed Bello – (current) Minister of FCT
– Lt. Gen. Abdulrahman Dambazzau (Rtd.) – (current) Minister of Interior
– Air Commodore Ibrahim Alkali(retd.) – Ex-Military Governor of Kwara State
– Prof. Bolaji Akinyemi – Ex-Minister of Education
– Hon. Justice Idris Legbo Kutigi – Former Chief Justice of Nigeria (CJN)
– Hon. Justice Uwais – Former Chief Justice of Nigeria
– Hon. Justice Mohammed Bello, Former Chief Justice of Nigeria