Maj.-Gen. Hassan Umoru has assumed the new Commander of Operation Lafiya Dole on Monday in Maiduguri.
Umoru took over from Maj.-Gen. Yushau Abubakar at a colourful ceremony.
Speaking at the event, Umoru said that the army would raise the tempo of the current anti- Boko Haram war to ensure that the insurgency was ended in a short while.
“I assure you that we will do our very best to make sure that the war against insurgency is ended.
“Since most of us are not new to this operation, there is no time to waste, rather we will start hitting the ground running and carry on with our activities,’’ Umoru said.
He commended Abubakar for his numerous achievements in office.
“I want to thank my predecessor for laying a solid foundation; in fact he had done very well.
“I am so happy that I have a team that is not new at all in this operation, I have a very knowledgeable set of senior officers to work with,’’ Umoru said.
He said he had been working with some of the officers in the theatre for a while.
“In fact, the two GOCs have been communicating with me throughout in the operation at some level, and they have assisted me greatly before.
“This is another opportunity for them to sit down and assist me the more,’’ Umoru said.
He solicited media support to ensure the success of the command.
“I believe with what is on ground, we are going to work as a team to coordinate our activities with all the stakeholders.
“This include the media because this war is not for the military alone, it is for generality of Nigerians and with your cooperation and assistance, by the grace of God we shall succeed,’’ Umoru said.
The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that Abubakar expressed gratitude to the officers of the command for the cooperation given to him and urged them to extend same to his successor.