Why FG, MTN Chose Out-of-court Settlement – Communications Minister


The Minister of Communications Technology, Mr. Abdulraheem Adebayo Shittu, said on Friday that the federal government accepted the out-of-court settlement with MTN over the N1.04 trillion fine imposed on the telecommunication giant because it is part of the ethics of the legal profession, of which he is member, to encourage out-of-court settlement over and above endless litigation.

The Federal Government, through the Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC), slammed MTN with N1.04 trillion fine last year for an infraction of its SIM card rules and regulations.

However, the sum was reviewed and slashed down by 25 percent following interventions from different quarters which ultimately brought the fine to N780 billion. It was after this reduction that MTN dragged government to court.

Speaking at the sideline on Wednesday evening after a meeting with GSM network operators, in his office in Abuja, Shittu, said it was MTN that went to court and the same company came back to asked for an out of settlement.

Asked on MTN’s payment plans to offset the balance N730 billion, after the initial down payment of N50 billion, Shittu said government has not sat down to discuss that plan, adding: “We have not sat down to discuss the payment plans. They have a proposal, we are yet to look at it and so I don’t know what the hurry because this was a case that was in court.”

How I Increased My small manhood Size & Stopped Premature Ejaculation That Scattered My Relationship for 2 years. Click HERE For Details.
READ  Ex-soldiers Sentenced To 6,000 Years In Prison For Guatemalan Massacre!
To Top